The 3rd Annual Charleston Marathon is happening this weekend and it will be winding its way through the streets of Charleston as well as the Live/Work/Play neighborhood of Park Circle and the unfinished 2nd phase of Oak Terrace Preserve! After the marathon, join in the celebration as they will have an awards ceremony, free shrimp and grits and beer for all participants (over 21), plus music and entertainment. The marathon will bring road closures in the area, so that’s something to keep in mind. This event has a very worthy cause as all proceeds from it benefit the R. Keith and Deborah C. Summey Youth Endowment for the Arts (YEA), a local non-profit that supports fine arts programming in Charleston County Schools.
Here’s an itinerary for the day:
SATURDAY, JANUARY 19TH
- 6:30am – Packet pickup and late registration – Half & Full Marathon
Burke Middle High School
- 6:30am – Packet pickup and late registration – 5K
North Charleston High School – 1087 E. Montague Ave. North Charleston, SC 29405
- 8:00 am – Marathon & Half Marathon Begins
Downtown by Burke Middle High School at 330 Fishburne St.
- 8:15 am – Shrimp & Grits 5k
By North Charleston High School at 1058 E. Montague Ave.
- 9:30 am – Awards and Finish Line Entertainment & Celebration (featuring Shrimp and Grits by Charleston Outdoor Catering, Beer and Entertainment by the 3 Dudes and the Calvin Taylor Band).
By North Charleston High School – corner of East Montague Ave. and Jenkins Ave.
- 11:00 am-4:00pm – Shuttles to Start
On Corner of Jenkins Ave. and Garco St.
Here’s a map of the Shrimp and Grits 5K that will have some road closures in the Park Circle area.
For more details on the Full and Half Marathon, go to the Charleston Marathon website!